- Page 1: Marconi in Chelmsford
- Page 2: The editor’s spot
- Page 3: Mailbag I
- Page 4: The relaunch of Elettra III as a student laboratory
- Page 5: The 80th Veterans Reunion
- Page 6: Liverpool’s Planet Lightship appeal
- Page 7: The Secretary’s slot
- Page 8: Formal opening of walking trail at Marconi telegraph site, Clifden
- Page 9: Mailbag II
- Page 10: Marconi ballistics
- Page 11: Miss Florence Attridge
- Page 12: Tim Wander appointed consultant curator of Sandford Mill Museum
- Page 13: Mailbag III
- Page 14: News from Bawdsey Radar
- Page 15: Bernard Hazelton 1922 - 2016
- Page 16: James A Leadbitter - Jimmy 1925 - 2016
- Page 17: Frank Newman (1871-1939) - our earliest veteran?
- Page 18: Bushy Hill
- Page 19: In Memoriam
Marconi in Chelmsford
Please click on the title Newsletter 2016 above to open the full document with the index and on any picture in this newsletter to open a larger image.
Peter Turrall, MVA Chairman
The last bastion in our County City of Chelmsford where founder Guglielmo Marconi set up his Wireless Telegraph Company has now been sold to a commercial operator. For three months a local organisations the Chelmsford Society and Chelmsford Engineering Society set up a wonderful exhibition entitled ‘Marconi Science Worx’ of Marconi artefacts, large posters etc, in the original Marconi factory in Hall Street and invited the public to view these items, and knowledgeable people to give lectures not only on Marconi but also on other engineering facets.
This is a very sad blow for all the hard work this local Group put in to not only save the factory for a museum, but also a future educational establishment covering all aspects of engineering and communications.* The second Marconi factory in New Street Chelmsford opened in 1912 has been razed to the ground for a major housing complex. The only exception is the front building which has a preservation order on it. This is now completely refurbished and occupied by an American cosmetics company called Benefit which employs a large number of female operators. Whilst the building has been tastefully redesigned internally, it has changed from its original details. The outside of the building still holds a plaque denoting the world’s first wireless broadcast took place from the building in 1920.
The water tower running alongside Marconi Road is in the process of being converted. It is understood a local organisation hopes to produce community broadcasts from the building. The water reservoirs have been filled in and a new multi storey block of flats will soon be erected in the area once known as Building 720 with is wavy roof. The whole site has either one/two bedroomed flats or major three/four bedroom houses. Quite unrecognisable from its original 1912 complex.
Whilst there is no possibility of an ex-Marconi site being used for a Marconi Museum, there will be celebrations coming up covering various anniversaries – the opening of the BBC in 1920 when all Marconi equipment and engineering staff formed the British Broadcasting Company, later to be called the British Broadcasting Corporation. These anniversaries will wherever possible be supported by The Marconi Veterans Association and through the local and National Press people will be informed.
The Sandford Mill Museum run by Chelmsford City Council still holds a large variety of Marconi and other local industries items. The Marconi items are regularly updated and rebuilt by a faithful band of ex Marconi employees who spend their Mondays at Sandford Mill carrying out a wonderful task. They will always be ready to accept any unwanted Marconi items which will help them maintain existing equipment. If you have any items in your loft or you know of other people who have them, please ensure they are not thrown away or dumped. Get in touch with our Association and we will make sure they are transferred to the museum or contact email@example.com
*Stop press: all may not yet be lost!